VT

is the hot cross bun sign on radiological imaging always significant or could it be a benign occurrence?

Dr. Dominic Mazzocchi
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Hot buns: Usually refers to sign on an MRI is related to variety of neuro degenerative diseases not usually a begin appearance unless there was a problem with the film
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology 33 years experience
If you are: referring to Brain MRI, the "hot cross buns" sign in the pons is the result of selective neuronal degeneration/loss in that area, so it is never normal. It is associated with a variety of neurodegenerative disorders, particularly multisystem atrophy.