U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 40-year-old female asked:

I get a mild but chronic pain/ weakness/numbness in my neck/shoulder that runs down my arm and into my little fingers. what kind of dr / therapist should i see? my shoulder was previously operated on for dislocation.

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bert Liang
Specializes in Neurology
Go back to your surg: If the symptoms are on the same arm in which the shoulder was operated, you should return to the surgeon who operated on you for assessment. Seeing a neurologist to help localize the lesion could also be a reasonable alternative.
Dr. Alphonse Ekole
Family Medicine 28 years experience
Neurosurgeon: Your pain may be from a pinched nerve in the neck. Avoid any manipulations including therapy until you are seen by a neurosurgeon or a neurologist.
Last updated Aug 25, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.