WV

Can to much proteen give you hives?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Allergy and Immunology 45 years experience
Unlikely: There are no reports in the medical literature linking hives to a high protein diet.
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Geriatrics 41 years experience
No: It is not "too much protein" but "foreign proteins" (or the type of proteins) to your immune system what causes an allergic reaction.
Dr. Paul Carter
31 years experience
No: But if you have allergy it is usually to specific proteins. Food allergies could include the proteins in milk, egg, peanut, soy, beef, chicken or others. So, if you are having hives, see a board certified allergist for evaluation and possibly some allergy testing.
Dr. Dean Firschein
Allergy and Immunology 33 years experience
Hives: Unlikely too much protein can cause hives unless the protein that one is consuming is the allergic trigger. Seeing an allergist to test for the the specific proteins that one is consuming may help.