Hatboro, PA

Broke tibia right under the knee of right leg and fractured it was in a cast for 6 weeks now in a brace my knee is swollen and i'm experiencing alot of pain. should i have had surgery?

Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry 44 years experience
Woulda, shoulda.: I think the most prudent thing for you to do right now is to your physician. Swelling and pain are two symptoms of a possible developing phlebitis or infection. You should not have a wait and see attitude, but rather attend to this quickly to remove all doubt.
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Followup: You would want to followup with your physician to discuss. It may be that the degree of pain and swelling is normal for your fracture, or it may be that something is wrong and needs attention. Discuss with your doctor first, but don't hesitate to seek a second opinion if you are concerned about what he says.

Last updated Oct 10, 2017