i've been bitten by my dog is it safe to breast feed my baby even if i haven't got an anti rabies vaccine yet?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Stephen Scholand
22 years experience Infectious Disease
Yes it is safe: I assume you are asking about rabies. In order for you to transmit rabies to your child through breast feeding- you would have to be sick with the virus yourself. Hopefully your dog is fine, although I know in the Philippines rabies is a big problem. If the dog is OK after 14 days of observation, you don't need any rabies preventive treatment. Otherwise, u should get to San Lazaro. Hope this helps
Answered on Apr 30, 2018
1
Dr. Clarene Cress
Specializes in Pediatrics
Depends: If your dog has had rabies vaccine, you should be safe from infection & breast feed. It is not known if rabies is spread through breast milk. If your dog is well, it is unlikely that you are infected and vaccine will protect you and baby, but the virus can be transmitted by saliva as early as 10 d before dog acts ill. Once bitten, it usually takes 3-8 weeks to show signs of illness,
Answered on Oct 29, 2017
2