Lancaster, PA

developed mastitis with an abscess and mrsa. received iv vancomycin ( 5 months ago) currently root canal done on abscess tooth, what is the likelihood of mrsa moving to my mouth signs and symptoms to look for!

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 53 years experience
Possible, not likely: Staph (whether MRSA or non-MRSA types) is not a common cause of dental abscesses, although it could happen. All abscess symptoms are pretty much the same, no matter what bacteria are involved: swelling, pain, redness, and potentially draining pus. Discuss with your dentist and follow her advice if antibiotic treatment is prescribed.