Dansville, NY

i stepped on a nail last night. it wasn't rusty. it only went in an inch or two. i cleaned it right after. could i have tetanus?

Puncture wounds: can be particularly worrisome regarding infection. An inch or two is actually pretty deep. If you haven't had a tetanus shot in the last ten years - that is a must. I would encourage you to have this medically addressed.
Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Rust on a nail is an indication that the nail has been in the environment a while. It's not the rust, but the bacteria that have accumulated on the nail that are the concern. Tetanus is uncommon but infections from puncture wounds from a dirty objects are common.
Jun 20, 2017
Dr. Clarence Grim
Endocrinology 57 years experience
Agree get you shot.
Jun 22, 2017