Houston, TX

is there anything to quell the nausea from the metronidazole? will pepcid help? or affect the antibiotic in any way?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 53 years experience
Try taking w/ food: Metronidazole certainly can cause nausea. The best preventive is to take the drug with food. Pepcid or other acid blockers probably won't help. If it continues, discuss alternative treatments, which likely are available, depending on what infection is being treated. If you definitely meed this type of drug, ask your doctor about tinidazole (Tindamax). More costly, but sometimes better tolerated.