U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Westland, MI
A 38-year-old female asked:

My ep prescribed flecainide for my benign pvcs/pacs. should i get a 2nd opinion cause i'm scared to take a heart med for something that's "benign"?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Brouwer
Internal Medicine 32 years experience
Benign ectopy: Perhaps there is something of greater concern (to your cardilologist) on your cardiac studies. However, if your echo is unremarkable, and your holter exam shows pacs and pvcs without ventricular tachycardia or atrial fibrillation, then obtaining a second opinion is reasonable before initiating an anti-arrhythmic med.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
53 years experience
PVCs: I'd recommend discussing the treatment with your ep and ask the question you did here. Benign pvcs are generally treated if they bother the patient enough that the patient desires to have them decreased to improve quality of life. The ep may have a specific reason......Don't be afraid to ask your doctors for information.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jul 31, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.