My ep prescribed flecainide for my benign pvcs/pacs. should i get a 2nd opinion cause i'm scared to take a heart med for something that's "benign"?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. David Brouwer answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Benign ectopy: Perhaps there is something of greater concern (to your cardilologist) on your cardiac studies. However, if your echo is unremarkable, and your holter exam shows pacs and pvcs without ventricular tachycardia or atrial fibrillation, then obtaining a second opinion is reasonable before initiating an anti-arrhythmic med.

Answered 7/31/2013

5.2k views

Dr. Calvin Weisberger answered

Specializes in

PVCs: I'd recommend discussing the treatment with your ep and ask the question you did here. Benign pvcs are generally treated if they bother the patient enough that the patient desires to have them decreased to improve quality of life. The ep may have a specific reason......Don't be afraid to ask your doctors for information.

Answered 5/4/2013

5.2k views