Canada

I've had shortness of breath 2 weeks, then congestion and phlegm cough and lost voice for 5 days and still.. what can this be. on cipro not working ?

Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 58 years experience
Viral infection?: Although you might just have had a cold which may leave you coughing for several weeks on occasions. However the shortness of breath is of concern and one needs to consider pneumonia as a potential cause. I think it is time for you to get a lung function test . If normal, a cardiology consult may be in order.
Dr. Michael Sanders
Pulmonology 17 years experience
Yes, I would see your physician, at least for a chest X-ray. I would wait in the pulmonary function test and see if your symptoms resolve. Coughing and an acute illness will alter the test. If you remain SOB and/or have a cough for several more weeks, then I would get it done at that point.
May 9, 2017
Dr. Dean Giannone
Respiratory. : Generally speaking, this sounds to be either an upper or lower respiratory tract infection. Given this duration, it's likely bacterial. Perhaps the bacterium is not sensitive to Cipro. You need another evaluation.
Last updated May 12, 2017