U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
College Point, NY
A 55-year-old female asked:

Is there a safe cholesterol lowering drug that isnt a risk for diabetes, i'm a 55 y/o woman and scared i can get the disease from the meds! advice?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Hospital-based practice 23 years experience
Not all medications.: While it's true that 1 type of cholesterol medication- statins- can marginally increase your blood sugar levels (ie, pose a small risk for diabetes), it is by no means a certainty for everyone. Also, other cholesterol medications, like Ezetimibe, REDUCE blood sugar & are used ONLY in diabetics. So talk to your doctor about alternatives. If you're under doc's care, he/she can take preventive steps.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 51 years experience
Need more info: It is not feasible to make a suggestion, without knowing more about your health. Drugs may not be needed to lower cholesterol, if you can make the requisite life style changes. You may consult this site for information on this topic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/diagnosis-treatment/treatment/txc-20181958 For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Drink enough water daily, so that your urine is mostly colorless. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form. Practice safe sex.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Mar 24, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.