Belmont, MA

i have recently gone in for a colonoscopy today and the dr. said that there is granular mucosa in my colon. can you tell me what this means?

Dr. Julie Abbott
Preventive Medicine 45 years experience
In and of itself,: granular mucosa in the colon is benign. The mucosa is the lining surface in the colon and is normally smooth and pink. Granularity indicates irregularity and disruption of the color, sometimes leading to erosion or ulceration. This COULD be an early sign of inflammation in the bowel, such as ulcerative colitis, an inflammatory bowel disease. Your Doctor will advise next steps for you. Stay well:)

Last updated Feb 12, 2020