New York, NY

how could someone have dilated cardiomyopathy and die from it, but doctors never found it? wouldn't that show on echo or exam?

Dr. Cornelius Oleary
Cardiomyopathy : Excellent question. Studies show people with cardiomyopathy may have no symptoms but according to the CDC still be at risk for sudden death. Dilated cardiomyopathy can be idiopathic primary or acquired (cocaine,alcohol,diabetic, ischemic) and is actually defined as enlarged volume in heart chambers <40% ejection fraction. WHO-Collectively the most common etiology of clinical heart failure.