Is there any evidence that betablockers deplete levels of coq10 in the body?i've heard taking coq10 can interfere with antiplatelet and blood thinners

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Donald Colantino answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

CoQ 10: Statins which are used to lower cholesterol are known to deplete coQ 10, but I am not aware that beta blockers do or that coQ interferes with platelet or clotting processes or blood thinners. Your pharmacist can advise you about this.

Answered 1/7/2017

839 views

Dr. Randy Baker answered

Specializes in Holistic Medicine

Yes, possibly: While not widely known, according to http://tinyurl.com/zfr2xre beta-blockers can lower CoQ10 levels, and CoQ10 can reduce the dose of beta-blockers needed, so I advise all on beta-blockers to take CoQ10. CoQ10 may reduce effectiveness of Coumadin and Plavix, though it's not clear if that is clinically significant. If you take a steady dose of CoQ10 you can adjust the dose of Coumadin accordingly.

Answered 1/8/2017

838 views