SC

My 2 year old drank after me. i have shingles. we also have a 32 weeker in nicu. worried toddler will get chicken pox and we will spread it to preemie?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 53 years experience
Check w/ baby's doc: Varicella zoster virus, the chickenpox/shingles virus, is not likely in your saliva in amounts easily transmitted, and if your toddler has had appropriate vaccines, she has been immunized and is immune to VZV. The main risk of VZV infection in the premie is from contact with you. not your toddler. Tell the NICU staff and follow their advice. Best wishes for your growing family!
Contact care: Only the weeping debris from your shingles would be able to spread the virus. If you can keep the area covered & practice good contact care (wash hands a lot) you are unlikely to spread it to anyone. Let the NICU people know since their policy may keep you away until certain parameters are met.

Last updated Jul 24, 2017