TX

I am allergic to vancomycin. is it safe for me to take clindamycin?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Probably: These are not known to cross react. Hopefully the clindamycin is the proper antibiotic for the infection that you apparently have. You should ask this question of the physician who prescribed the clindamycin.
Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegabanswered
Allergy and Immunology 40 years experience
Yes, but: This is rather a doctor's decision in view of clinical data at hand. True vancomycin allergy is rare, the drug can cause rash as a side effect or if injected fast, not a true allergic reaction. Your best bet for yourself and your doctor, if in doubt, is to consult an allergist/immunologist check aaaai.org or acaai.org for an allergist in your area, best wishes