U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Hyde Park, MA
A 31-year-old female asked:

My husband broke one of his back ribs. there is a large lump where the rib was broken. is this the muscle swelling from the broken bone piercing it?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Richard Zimon
Internal Medicine 60 years experience
Sounds like: you are describing a "hematoma" collection of blood in the intercostal muscle(s) around the fracture. An x ray is probably a good idea. Contact your PCP (Primary Care Provider) Hope this helps Dr Z
Last updated Oct 15, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.