I took Virtussin approximately 3 hrs ago and it has not helped my cough. I'm considering taking NyQuil but need to know when it would be safe to do ?

Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegab answered
39 years experience in Allergy and Immunology
At least 6 hours: Interval is needed to clear the codeine in Virtussin from your system, if not 8 hours. Nyquil contains an antihistaminic which would interact with the codeine. Moreover, codeine at times can cause spasm of the airways causing more cough, that's why it didn't help to start with, if you are really suffering call your doctor or go to urgent care for management, good luck
Answered on Sep 11, 2016