MD

i have gluten allergy, can kissing someone who ate gluten get me sick as a form of cross contamination?

Dr. Corey Clay
Allergy and Immunology 10 years experience
No: Will not get you sick. Thank you for the question.

Colleyville, TX

Why is it so trendy to say you have a gluten allergy nowadays. Do these people really have it?

Dr. Michael Klein
Many don't have it: Celiac sprue is a serious disease which can cause major problems and illness with digestion and should not be taken lightly. In celiac, gluten changes lining of intestine. It has a cousin, gluten intolerance which can cause some symptoms. Marketing execs honed in on this and many people mistakenly assume that reducing gluten is a good way to lose weight as they hear it mentioned frequently.

I think I have a gluten allergy, but how can I tell without doing a bunch of tests?

Dr. Sidney Vinson
Gastroenterology 27 years experience
You can't definitive: The only way to make an accurate diagnosis is with blood tests or an intestinal biopsy. Many people will feel better with gluten avoidance, even without gluten sensitivity so this is not and accurate method of diagnosis.

Is it possible to develop a gluten allergy later in life if you were fine the first 20 years?

Dr. Mary Callahan
Cardiology 29 years experience
Gluten sensitivity: Yes it is possible that it was not detected when you were younger. There are many cases of celiac disease that were picked up in adults, so if you have some symptoms follow with your physician and have the testing done.

Why does beer not affect my gluten allergy? Isn't beer made from grains containg gluten?

Dr. Sidney Vinson
Gastroenterology 27 years experience
Some can: Most beers are filtered liquids and contain little to no gluten protein. Some beer, especially unfiltered, can exacerbate gluten intolerance. The amount of gluten in most beer is negligible though. Many patient with celiac will tolerate low amounts of gluten without difficulty.

What does it mean to have a gluten allergy?

Dr. Louis Krenn
Gluten sensativity: Physicians usually refer to this as gluten sensitivity or intolerance. Its not a true allergy. Many use this term incorrectly. Historically this term has referred to celiac disease which is a condition that results in abdominal pain, bloating, changes in stools, weight loss, fatigue, and weakness when someone with this problem consumes foods with gluten.

Last updated Sep 6, 2016