what are the tests for dizziness?

Dr. Daniel Ziegler
Emergency Medicine 30 years experience
By dizzy you mean?: People use the term differently but classically dizzy refers to the spinning sensation, usually associated with nausea, that occurs when the balance organs in the inner ear are disrupted like when you would purposely spin as a kid until you couldn't walk a straight line. Called vertigo. We test for it by dropping the head of bed down with neck rotated and watching for specific eye movements.
Dr. James Demetroulakos
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 36 years experience
Ekg, BP, CT or MRI: The symptom of dizziness may be from a circulation problem, a heart problem or a neurologic problem. Your Doctor may check your blood pressure in different positions to see if the dizziness is from blood pooling in the lower part of the body, he will check your heart with an ekg. The tests for neurologic problems would involve some king of imaging or the brain including, MRI or Ct scan.