TX
A male asked:

can i use a syringe to pop and drain a external hemorrhoid?

Dr. Herman Hammerstead
NO: It will just bleed and return. Either banding or excision is the answer

Is it normal to get piles in the 3rd trimester?

Dr. Ruth Crystal
Yes: Many women get piles or hemorrhoids in pregnancy. It is important not to become constipated, so increase your fiber (metamucil), increase your water intake, avoid sitting and pushing on the toilet and take a short walk after meals if it is ok with your provider. If you have severe pain or heavy bleeding from the hemorrhoid (pile), call your doctor/cnm right away.

Will topical creams like preparation-h help my hemorrhoids?

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Yes: Over the counter hemorrhoid creams can be helpful. Products containing steroids like Anusol Hc are more effective. Many patients may benefit from prescription strength hemorrhoid medication if OTC is not helping. Avoiding constipation is key to helping and preventing hemorrhoids. Drink plenty of water, eat fiber and use a supplement like MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol) or benefiber if needed.

Are hemorrhoids commonly outside the body or internal?

Dr. David Gutman
Both can occur: The presence of external hemorrhoids is usually an indication of too much pressure on the internal hemorrhoid system. When there is too much pressure internally, that pressure is transmitted through a network of veins to the external skin just around the outside of the anus, causing the external skin to stretch and bulge out forming external hemorrhoids.

Are there effective over-the-counter medication to reduce hemorrhoid pain?

Dr. Ron Jones
Yes: Over the counter steroid creams and preparations of Benzocaine (especially mixed together) when applied on, around, and up the rectum can significantly help hemorrhoid pain (usually).

I have a small hemeroid on the inner part of my anus. It does not itch or hurt. I noticed while wiping. Is there any suggestions to a fix?

Dr. Francine Mosley
General Practice 20 years experience
No need.: Hemorroid won't need fixed until it's getting in the way of your bowel movements and/or hanging around down there and causing pain. Then see someone about fixing the hemorrhoid, but until then, ignore it.

Last updated Mar 23, 2017