U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 26-year-old male asked:

I have a small patch of itchy and painful red bumps in the center of my spine. just showed up, i can feel the skin a little tighter that area.

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Katherine Caldwell
Internal Medicine 18 years experience
Rash/itchy: If only on one side of your back, it could be shingles, and you should go see a doctor today to start the medication for it (there is a window of 48 hrs to start the meds). If the rash is on both sides of your back, it isn't shingles, and then, you could try an OTC hydrocortisone cream twice a day for up to 1 week, no longer. Avoid scratching the area. If it is getting worse, see a doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 13, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.