PA

I had 4 wisdom teeth removed today. i can't help but smoke. what can i do to prevent dry socket. will stitch's help? i'm just very paranoid and worry

Dr. Mark Miller
Dentistry 48 years experience
Smoking: My best advise is not to smoke at all especially in the first 24 hours and as many days thereafter as possible. Smoking produces a sucking action that can dislodge the clot. The Carbon Monoxide from smoking limits the Oxygen needed for healing in the extraction site and the Nicotine slows the healing process. Stitches and packing w gauze will provide protection against the suction from smoking.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Explain: Explain your dilemma to your specialist Oral Surgeon and ask this question of him/her. The Surgeon will do everything possible to expedite your healing process, despite the fact that you are doing everything you can to interfere with healing. Smoking will dramatically increase risk of complications, and in the long run will probably kill you. Now would b e the perfect time to man up and quit.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Smoking and ?: I would worry more about the effects of smoking on your entire body and risk of cancer, heart and lung disease over time than about getting a dry socket (which heals and leaves no permanent damage). It's your choice both about whether to smoke or not for a few days or never again. There are doctors and techniques to help you quite but will power is essential. Less to worry about also. Be well.

Last updated Nov 28, 2017