My gyn called & said my pap smear results were atrophic. she stated that this meant that she didn't collect enough cells & i have to have another test?

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Pap smears at 61: Without the use of estrogen in the vagina or otherwise, it is not uncommon to have an "atrophic" pap smear at age 61 as there is no vaginal cell stimulation by the hormone. The 2nd pap smear may also be atrophic. If you have had regular negative pap smears yearly, (3 or more) then new ACOG recommendations may forego the need for further testing. Talk to your GYN MD about this subject.

Last updated Aug 20, 2020