U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 18-year-old member asked:

I have what seem like black moles on my thighs. some seem like scars, some seem like small black things protruding my skin. what is it?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jerome Litt
Dermatology 72 years experience
BLACK MOLES: Apart from actually seeing these, it's important to know how old you are; are you male or female; and the size of most of these. Do they ever bleed and crust? Can you pick them off with your fingernail? If you're a senior, they may be seborrheic keratoses. Often called the "barnacles of maturity." if that's what they are, they are very friendly. If you are worried, see a dermatologist.
Dr. Coyle Connolly
Dermatology 30 years experience
Black growths : The black growths you describe could be skin tags , seborrheic keratoses, moles or other conditions. See a dermatologist for proper evaluation and treatment.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jan 14, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.