what causes you to need to get an injection to do a bone scan to check for a stress fracture?

Dr. Fidias De Leon
Nuclear Medicine 21 years experience
Radiotracer: A nuclear medicine bone scan is used to evaluate for conditions affecting bones including cancer, fractures, degenerative diseases etc. The radiotracer or radioactive material used is injected through a vein quickly reach your bones where it is deposited. A gamma camera is used to detect the radiotracer and images are created. The radiation is cleared from your body mostly in urine.
Dr. Larry Wilf
Dr. Larry Wilf commented
Nuclear Medicine 34 years experience
A bone scan is significantly more sensitive than Xray for determining a stress fracture. It takes on average a 50% density change on Xray to see an abnormality vs about 10% on a bone scan.
Apr 8, 2013
Dr. Kenneth Bennet
Nuclear Medicine 18 years experience
The bone scan also detects the stress fracture changes much earlier than X-rays
Aug 5, 2013
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine 52 years experience
Bone metabolism: Radiotracer technetium 99m mehylene diphosphonate or similar agent is injected intravenously to be transported by blood stream to the bones. Full deposition usually takes 2 to 3 hours. This agent goes where there is increased bone metabolism or repair of bone, such as fractures, tumors, arthritis, and infection. It detects subtle changes, sometimes not noticed on routine imaging.