PA

i have allergist-diagnosed food allergies. now i'm reacting to ham lunch meat (gas/diarrhea/itchy palate). could it be a preservative allergy?

Dr. Thomas Josa
Allergy and Immunology 39 years experience
Unlikely: Remarkably, allergy to preservatives is extremely rare if it occurs at all.
Dr. Luis Matos
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 45 years experience
Ham allergy possible: It is important to know if you live in an area in the south and if you have been bitten by many ticks. The type of reaction you describe is typical of the early allergic reactions to Alpha galactose meat allergy. Intestinal cramping and diarrhea can happen 3-6 hours after eating mammalian meats. These can be variable at first with you reacting only after eating large amounts of the meat.