Santa Monica, CA

will taking valium the day before surgery reduce the effectiveness of the midazolam used for anesthesia? what about narcotics (affect on fentanyl etc?

Dr. Glenn Messina
Aesthetic Medicine 35 years experience
No: The valium the day before will not have an affect provided you are not a daily user. Patients who require daily valium will have a bit of a resistance to midazolam, its not a huge deal the midazolam isn't the main part of your anesthesia. As far as narcotics these work together. it will not have a major effect and your anesthesiologist should be easily capable of caring for your needs.