U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
San Jose, CA
A 32-year-old male asked:

Is gripe water (gas relief drops) safe to give to a 2 1/2 week old infant?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 51 years experience
They don't work. : Babies swallow air when crying & bottle-feeding. Till ~ 6 weeks, their intestinal smooth muscle does not coordinate propulsion of liquid & air. Use the "football hold". Put baby on your forearm, head at your elbow,face down. Press your palm against his tummy, flex his hips, encircle one leg with your fingers & roll him gently against your chest. Tilt head up to burp, tush up to pass gas.
Dr. Rajesh Kumar
Pediatrics 49 years experience
Yes. : Gripe water can be given to a 2 1/2 week old baby. Make sure it has no alcohol in it. There are other medications also that may be used - discuss with baby's doctor. Best of course , is no medications if at all possible. Mom refraining from milk intake herself sometimes may help.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 51 years experience
There is no evidence of efficacy of gripe water or similar products in relieving gas pains or colic. Most include alcohol or sugar that pose health risks to infants. In 1993 the FDA banned import of Woodward's gripe water into the U.S. as an unapproved drug; since then it's been sold in the U.S. as a "dietary supplement". See en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gripe_water for details.
Dec 20, 2015

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Dec 28, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.