i just injected 40 units of lantus (insulin glargine). it bled a decent drop until i pressed the area with my boxers. how can you tell if you inject into a vein?

Dr. Ira Katz
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Don't Worry: This is an old concern & particularly with rapid insulin. With insulin pens & small needles it is hard to hit a large vein. You most likely hit a venule, a very small branch of a vein, & the needle will actually pass through it. The insulin will deposit behind the vein the Lantus (insulin glargine) slowly release, but you will bleed a little. If Lantus (insulin glargine) is in a venule it will likely clot & the Lantus (insulin glargine) work normally.
Answered on Dec 10, 2015
2
2 comments
Dr. Ira Katz
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
I suggest you still do a formal consult with a HealthTap Doctor and if you have any problems overnight go to an urgent care or ER.
Dec 10, 2015
Dr. Ira Katz
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
That all said there is the possibility you got the Lantus into a vein. If that is the case it actually will likely not work well and will have hyperglycemia. Hypoglycemia is theoretically possible, but unlikely. What yourself for the next few hours. IN THE FUTURE WITH A QUESTION LIKE THIS DO A CONSULT. THIS NEEDS MORE DETAILED EVAL! THE EXPLANATION HERE IS GEN & CAN NOT BE APPLIED SPEC TO YOU!
Dec 10, 2015