My mri showed some infection in my hip and leg joint. doctor wants to order a bone biopsy. can this infection be a sign of cancer?

Dr. Douglas Miller
Pathology 42 years experience
Not likely but?: The answer depends in some part on your history. If you have no history of cancer, and the imaging suggests an infection, at your age you are unlikely to end up with an unexpected diagnosis of cancer. If you have a history of cancer, perhaps the presence of an infection in the affected bones and joint is due to an underlying cancer, prior biopsy, or depressed immune system. Consult your doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Apr 7, 2013