hello! i have an 18 yr old daughter on liquid sertraline for anxiety and ocd. she is having great difficulty swallowing due to the bad taste. hence, she doesn't take it as prescribed. can zoloft tablets be crushed and taken with food like applesauce?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Johanna Fricke
49 years experience Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics
I misread your ? : The tablet can be crushed, but not the capsule. Put it in the smallest amt. of applesauce possible to insure she gets the whole dose. The liquid can be taken in 4 oz. of any liquid. There is no physical reason an otherwise healthy 18-yr-old can't swallow a pill. An OT with expertise in feeding disorders can teach her. The mainstay of treatment for OCD is long-term Cognitive Behavioral Therapy..
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
1
Dr. Patricia Foster
43 years experience Psychiatry
Yes: Not uncommon for older kids to have trouble swallowing pills due to severe anxiety/OCD. Try crushing tablet and mixing with applesauce or ice cream. Do talk about this issue with therapist or prescribing doctor. I hope this helps. Best wishes.
Answered on Feb 5, 2017
2