United Kingdom

could gerd cause a tightening sensation in the back of your throat followed by brief racing heart? i have gerd & anxiety disorder. thanks

Dr. Andrew Seibert
Gastroenterology 35 years experience
GERD: although GERD can cause a tightening in the throat, when combined with the sensation of a racing pulse I believe it is more likely that your symptoms are due to the anxiety disorder. To sort this out, go to your doctor and get on good therapy for GERD. If the symptoms persist, that gives you your answer. Good luck.
Dr. Leonard Stein
Seems Possible: Individuals w anxiety disorder can activate sympathetic nervous system rapidly. There is certainly burning in the throat w Gerd, & if it is chronic you can have esophageal spasm which would feel like tightening. That said, Gerd needs treatment. Good to elevate your upper torso after eating & not eat for 2-3 hrs before sleep. There are medications that also help. You also need help w your anxiety
Dr. Marius Frasie
NO: BUT ANXIETY DISORDER WILL CAUSE THAT.