dr says i have a strep b infection in my vagina. antibiotics for a week. do i have to worry about husband getting it or giving it back to me? not preg

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
53 years experience Infectious Disease
No worries: Group B streptococcus (GBS) is normal in the vagina, and not a likely cause of whatever symptoms you have. The main importance of vaginal GBS is that it can cause serious infections in newborns if exposed during delivery. Testing of women for GBS usually isn't done except in pregnant women. Your husband could be colonized with it, but it really shouldn't make any difference. Discuss w/ doctor.
Answered on Mar 22, 2020