My friend was in france and was hit by a lorry and is in a coma. the doctors have noticed a blood clot in his brain, i am just wondering what the chance of his survival is and if he will be brain damaged.

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

Guarded at best: In general, brain bleeding causes 60% death rate within the first yr, but all cases are different and survival does occur. Must state that most have permanent brain injury to a variable extent. Currently, use EEG activity to follow your friend, discuss option of surgery or shunting & curtailing brain pressure. Miracles do occur, so stay hopeful

Answered 8/24/2019

2.1k views

Dr. Norma Jo Waxman answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Im so sorry: That is very sad. His survival chances and long term outcome depends on where the blood clot is, how much of his brain is effected, which part of the brain, and many other factors. It is important that he is in a hospital that routinely tKe care of patients with head trauma and have neurosurgeons on staff taking care of him. I so hope he improves

Answered 8/24/2019

2.1k views