NY

For almost a yr i have epigastric and ulq pain that wraps around to my back. this worsens if i drink alcohol or eat oily foods. is this pancreatitis?

Dr. Andrew Seibert
Gastroenterology 36 years experience
Abdominal pain: The pain that you're describing can have many causes, and pancreatitis is not the most likely culprit, unless you have had it before. It is very possible that you have Gerd or gastritis as a cause. I would consider trying omeprazole 20 mg once a day for no longer than two weeks. If it does not help, then I would see your doctor.
Dr. Herman Hammerstead
Trauma Surgery 51 years experience
Quite likely: Sounds pancreatic in origin. You need to see PCP for exam, lab tests and probable MRI of abdomine
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine 50 years experience
It may well be: the fact that fatty foods increases these symptoms may indicate that the primary problem is gallstones, and both of these problems - pancreatitis and gallstones - may also be worsened by alcohol. Pancreatitis generally occurs only with higher levels of alcohol consumption. Please talk to your doctor ASAP about your alcohol use and these symptoms, and strongly consider cessation! Good luck!

Last updated Nov 5, 2015