My mum has an intermittent fever after her brain stem stroke surgery. her fever temperature ranges from 37.5-39 and it has been on going for weeks. doctors has ruled out infections and gave her antibotics. why is this happening? will the fever stops?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Dariush Saghafi answered

Specializes in Neurology

FUO: By definition fever with no apparent reason for 3 weeks is "fever of unknown origin." However, in your mother's case she had major neurosurgical attention and therefore, the most likely cause of her fever stems from that incident. In order to help you gauge the situation a little bit better I would need more information. if you'd like we can set up an appointment: Www.healthtap.com/drsaghafi

Answered 10/13/2015

2.2k views

Dr. Richard Roberts answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

One possibility:: The brainstem is instrumental in regulating all of our non-cbronscious functions, such as body temperature, heart rate, intestinal peristalsis--all lumped together as the "autonomic nervous system". Damage to the phrenic or vegal cranial nerves may disrupt smooth function, as well as damage to the to the brainstem from the stroke itself. So the stroke could be the cause, as could the surgery,

Answered 10/12/2015

2.2k views