VA

I have a large bump on my hip that started as a small pimple like bump. it is very red and painful and has pus and clear liquid in it.

Dr. Mark Rausch
Emergency Medicine 25 years experience
Abscess: Your symptoms are consistent with an abscess. It is an skin infection that develops into a pocket of pus underneath the skin. Many times a physician must cut the abscess open to drain the infection. Very rarely antibiotics alone will work. I recommend applying a heating element ( uncooked rice in a sock, placed in the microwave for 2 minutes) to the abscess in 5 second intervals for 20 minutes.
Dr. Bernard Seif
Clinical Psychology 41 years experience
Boil?: It may be a boil or other infection. Please go to your doc so he/she can drain it and keep you from getting an infection that can spread farther. Peace and good health.
Last updated May 31, 2019