my systolic bp is regularly in the 130s and my diastolic is consistently 69-80 but generally in the 70s. i'm 18. what can i do and why is my sys high?

Dr. Christine Hom
30 years experience Pediatrics
Blood pressure: Normal blood pressure numbers are decreasing all the time. Good care for blood pressure would be reducing to a normal body weight, regular aerobic exercise, quitting smoking/secondary smoke exposure, reducing salt in the diet and reducing stress. Any of these issues could increase your blood pressure.
Answered on Sep 30, 2015
1
Dr. Leonard Stein
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Home BP measurements are not ideal although they are being used more frequently than I like in practice. One way of accidently increasing the systolic pressure is to pump the cuff up to much and that is typically done by automatic machines. With a cuff and stethoscope, once I find an approximate pressure I take it again more carefully. Hurting the patient raises the value.
Sep 30, 2015