Houston, TX

I have red, itchy, slightly painful patches on the palms of my hands and soles on my feet. i'm 7 months pregnant. should i be worried?

Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry 46 years experience
Dyshidrosis.: Not seeing the patches always puts an on line evaluation at a disadvantage, but, your condition sounds like a condition known as dyshidrotic eczema or more commonly known as dyshidrosis. This condition can be linked to a hormonal shift in pregnancy and likely true if you have never had it before you were pregnant. Soaking your foot in a solution of 20 pats water to 1 part vinegar may offer relief.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
ObstetricCholestasis: The buildup of estrogen during pregnancy can cause your liver to start retaining bile salt, and this causes itching that can be severe, often on the palms and soles. Sometimes it leads to jaundice (whites of eyes turn yellow). Treatment is creams and baths - it will get better after delivery. Talk to your doctor about it, there is slight increased chance of premature delivery or complications.
Last updated Sep 22, 2015