U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 18-year-old female asked:

I have a big red and blotchy section on my right cheek that has some whiteheads. i can also feel it pulse. any suggestions on how to get rid of this?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Louise Andrew
A Verified Doctoranswered
Emergency Medicine 47 years experience
Abscess: This sounds like a developing abscess. You need to see your GP or the ED to have it drained, unless it is really tiny. Try applying warm compresses and gentle pressure and scrub gently at the whiteheads to see if you can get anything to drain out. If you do, you can continue to use the warm compresses 6 times a day and it might go away. But if it does not drain or does not get smaller, then go
Last updated Jul 30, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.