Chicago, IL

meibomian glands've been clogged for 3 months but now i am starting warm wet compress once a day and doxycycline. how long until the glands unclog?

Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology 30 years experience
Varies : It all depends on how serious your meibomian gland dysfunction is. Most of the time there is noticeable improvement in symptoms in 6-8 weeks with the treatment you've described. Make sure the compresses are from a microwaveable gel pack that stays hot for the 10' of application. Also, occasionally a combo antibiotic/steroid ointment may need to be applied to your eyelids at bedtime. Good luck.
Dr. Mark Sibley
Dr. Mark Sibley commented
LASIK Surgery 45 years experience
Dr.Fishburn gave great advice.The treatment warm compress treatment needs to 1-2 times daily, maybe forever to keep the eyelids and tiny oil glands as healthy as possible.Like brushing and flossing for tooth and gum health. Another option could be a wet washcloth microwaved for 14-15 SECONDS and use that and repeat 2-3 times.The moist heat really helps the lids and face and sinuses.Keep us posted.
Jul 22, 2015