Brooklyn, NY

I measured my mom's fasting blood sugar using my home monitor.first it was 97, in a second try(in a minute) it was 103.is it prediabetic number?

Dr. Michael Robinson
Endocrinology 48 years experience
Pre-diabetes : The average of the two determinations is 100 and would be within the upper limit of acceptable norm for a fasting blood sugar level. A fasting sugar greater than 100 might be suspect but not necessarily diagnostic for prediabetes. A hemoglobin A-1 C is the best test. A value between 5.6% and 6.4% would be considered diagnostic of prediabetes.
Pathology 49 years experience
Not necessarily: Home glucose meters are not validated by the Food and Drug Administration for diagnosis of Diabetes or pre-diabetes. You need to have plasma glucose tested by an accredited Lab. The patient should have fasted for at least 8 hours before the test. Alternatively you could get a hemoglobin A1c test that does not require fasting, but is subject to effects of red cell life span.
Dr. Mani Bashyam
Specializes in Diabetology
Not reliable: Home glucose monitors are useful for monitoring therapy but not accurate for diagnosis especially since glucose levels are close to normal. Need a fasting lab glucose
Dr. Maria Tulpan
Endocrinology 27 years experience
Yes, she could be: Based on these measurements, your Mom could be prediabetic. I recommend that she sees her doctor. I wish you well, Maria Tulpan

Last updated May 28, 2016