i measured my mom's fasting blood sugar using my home monitor.first it was 97, in a second try(in a minute) it was 103.is it prediabetic number?

4 doctor answers
Dr. Michael Robinson
47 years experience Endocrinology
Pre-diabetes : The average of the two determinations is 100 and would be within the upper limit of acceptable norm for a fasting blood sugar level. A fasting sugar greater than 100 might be suspect but not necessarily diagnostic for prediabetes. A hemoglobin A-1 C is the best test. A value between 5.6% and 6.4% would be considered diagnostic of prediabetes.
Answered on May 28, 2016
2
48 years experience Pathology
Not necessarily: Home glucose meters are not validated by the Food and Drug Administration for diagnosis of Diabetes or pre-diabetes. You need to have plasma glucose tested by an accredited Lab. The patient should have fasted for at least 8 hours before the test. Alternatively you could get a hemoglobin A1c test that does not require fasting, but is subject to effects of red cell life span.
Answered on Jul 20, 2015
Dr. Mani Bashyam
Specializes in Diabetology
Not reliable: Home glucose monitors are useful for monitoring therapy but not accurate for diagnosis especially since glucose levels are close to normal. Need a fasting lab glucose
Answered on Jul 12, 2015
Dr. Maria Tulpan
26 years experience Endocrinology
Yes, she could be: Based on these measurements, your Mom could be prediabetic. I recommend that she sees her doctor. I wish you well, Maria Tulpan
Answered on Jul 12, 2015
1