Canada
A 31-year-old female asked about a 26-year-old female:

i have extreme pain in my knee accompanied by cracking and grinding under my kneecap when ever i move leg it feels as if my knee cap is shifting. what is this it pains more going down stairs then it does to climb them should i get this checked?

Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
?Patello-femoral: syndrome? It occurs when the knee cap doesn't slide smoothly in the groove created by the femur & tibia. This causes irritation & inflammation. It's common in young women whose long bones may be growing faster than the stabilizing muscles. It's more notable going downstairs b/c of added stress of gravity and the greater range of motion of the knee cap. Yes, you should get this checked!!!!!
Dr. Audie Rolnick
Orthopedic Surgery 40 years experience
Yes: sounds like your problem is under kneecap. if it feels like it is shifting it may be unstable or maligned also. needs evaluation by ortho
Dr. John Goldman
Rheumatology 55 years experience
Yes: This can be rubbing of the cartilage of the back of the kneecap - also called chondromalacia patella. This can occur with loose kneecaps also. You need to see your physician to get this evaluated. Knee exercies are important therapy.
Dr. David Surdyka
Orthopedic Surgery 33 years experience
Anterior knee pain: This is a common problem especially among young women. You should see an orthopedic surgeon or sports medicine doctor who will evaluate your knee and probably recommend physical therapy and perhaps a brace. If you are overweight, this will compound the problem as knee cap pressure is several times body weight descending stairs or squatting. Rarely, surgery will be required.