AZ

I just got my period yesterday and today when i changed my tampon i noticed it was also yellow and reminded me of iodine, and it got on my finger and it stained my skin a little even after washing my hands with soap. is something wrong?

Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
Hemosiderin: You're seeing "hemosiderin", a pigment that is released from red blood cells when they break. Hemosiderin is part of the molecule in red blood cells that allow them to carry oxygen to various parts of your body. You may have noticed that, when you bruise, it starts out reddish blue but gradually changes to brownish yellow then finally yellow. That's because of the breakdown of hemosiderin.

Last updated Jun 28, 2015