Canada

For the past few years i've been pulling strands of my hair out. its relieves stress.. but it's gotten bad, my hair is thinning, and i cant stop..why?

Dr. Jerome Litt
Dermatology 72 years experience
TRICHOTILLOMANIA: IT SOUNDS AS IF YOU HAVE THE DISORDER NAMED ABOVE. NOT UNCOMMON, AND OFTEN WILL GET BETTER ONCE YOU KNOW WHATS CAUSING IT. YOU MAY NEED SOME HELP FROM YOUR REGULAR DOCTOR OR FROM A PSYCHOLOGIST/PSYCHIATRIST. BEST LUCK, AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUESTION.
Dr. Robert Dahmes
undefined 47 years experience
This is what is known as an impulse-control disorder. May or may not be due to anxiety. Various forms of treatment include: psychotherapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy and possible medication. See your general practitioner for a referral to a psychologist and/or a psychiatrist.
Jun 22, 2015

Last updated Dec 31, 2016