WA

sharp pain in right ear when i move my tongue, talk, swallow, or chew? what can cause this? any eardrops i should get to relieve the pain? thanks

Dr. Brian Affleck
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 30 years experience
Referred pain: When ear pain seems to be related to the jaw, worse with chewing or tongue movement, it is common that the pain is actually referred to the ear. Although it's impossible to tell without an exam, you probably have TMJ, which should respond nicely to anti-inflammatories like Motrin
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
TMJ?: May be TMJ. See ENT doc or oral surgeon for diagnosis. If pain persists, see TMJ expert. See a TMJ-orofacial pain expert to help evaluate and treat your problem. A TMJ-oro-facial pain expert can be general dentist, an oral surgeon, prosthodontist, orofacial pain specialist. Ask your physician, dentist or dental society for a recommendation.