U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 19-year-old female asked:

Sharp pain in right ear when i move my tongue, talk, swallow, or chew? what can cause this? any eardrops i should get to relieve the pain? thanks

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Brian Affleck
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 31 years experience
Referred pain: When ear pain seems to be related to the jaw, worse with chewing or tongue movement, it is common that the pain is actually referred to the ear. Although it's impossible to tell without an exam, you probably have TMJ, which should respond nicely to anti-inflammatories like Motrin
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 46 years experience
TMJ?: May be TMJ. See ENT doc or oral surgeon for diagnosis. If pain persists, see TMJ expert. See a TMJ-orofacial pain expert to help evaluate and treat your problem. A TMJ-oro-facial pain expert can be general dentist, an oral surgeon, prosthodontist, orofacial pain specialist. Ask your physician, dentist or dental society for a recommendation.
Last updated Oct 23, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.