A member asked:

I have a bulging l5 s1. severe pain down my right side since october, now having pain down my left side as well. i can't walk. i want the surgery. ??

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Katharine Cox answered

Specializes in Pediatric Emergency Medicine

Need surgeon: It sounds like you meet the criteria for surgery. See an orthopaedic or neurosurgeon for care. Go to the ER if you can't walk. All the best.

Answered 2/21/2017


Dr. Galina Nikolskaya answered

Specializes in Neurology

May avoid surgery: Assuming walking is an issue only due to pain, make sure you have been tried on neuromodulators that quite down pain signal transmission coming from pinched lumbosacral roots. The common agents are gabapentin, pregabalin, tricyclic antidepressants or SNRIs like duloxetine or venlafaxine. Once on neuromodulators +/-spine traction with inversion, the pain may get so improved that no need for surgery

Answered 2/21/2017



Related Questions