U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom
A 34-year-old female asked:

Fleshy mass under top eye lid (lacrimal gland) i went to the opticians he said it's not a cyst or stye no fluid within it referred me for a biopsy ???

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology 32 years experience
Evaluation : Presumably you saw an optometrist who advised a biopsy of a fleshy mass located in the lacrimal gland or by it. The referral to an ophthalmologist would be the next step, who will be able to advise you on the differential diagnosis of this mass. Sometimes other testing is necessary before considering a biopsy (blood tests, imaging). A tissue biopsy may be advised when definitive treatment required
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Richard Zimon
Internal Medicine 61 years experience
What is your: Question? It sounds like your Optician is referring you to an OPTHAMOLOGIST (M.D.!!) This mass may simply be a fatty growth (LIPOMA) Get the Biopsy (which may actually consist of removing the mass altogether) Good Luck Hope this helps! Dr Z
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 30, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.