U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 26-year-old male asked:

I am stressed out and my hands tend to sweat when going for an interview or even when typing this, it's always embarrassing me, tell my why?

3 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 15 years experience
Therapy?: I hear a great deal of anxiety in your question. Have you yet tried any form of psychotherapy? Typically, the optimal combination of things to treat emotional issues such as anxiety or depression is medication (which, on your best day, is supposed to take the edge off symptoms) but the real gruntwork takes place in psychotherapist's consulting room.
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Clinical Psychology 36 years experience
Different people: experience stress and anxiety in different ways. Sweaty palms is a common way that some people's body's react 2 stress. Everyone gets nervous when going for job interviews. It would be advisable 2 learn some relaxation techniques 2 help U prepare for job interviews and reduce the stress U R feeling so that U can make the best impression possible. U could even learn some via a HealthTap Concierge
Dr. Daniel Bates
Family Medicine 9 years experience
Hyperhidrosis: Hyperhidrosis is a condition where there is excessive sweat production on the palms and feet usually increased in response to stress. There are many treatments available for this. Please see your Family Doctor to discuss this and for referral to a Dermatologist. One thing you can try in the meantime is to apply a clear underarm antiperspirant to your palms daily.
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Clinical Psychology 36 years experience
Thanks for adding this information, I will let my clients know that there are additional options.
May 11, 2015
Last updated May 29, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.